How to Brew
Wine & Mead
Pitch Black Schwarzbier
Munich 6 lbs
Extra-Light DME 1 lb.
|Debittered black malt 4 oz
British chocolate malt 4 oz
Black Patent malt 4 oz
CaraHell 4 oz
|#1 Perle (7.4.0%) 1.2 oz 60 min
#2 Saaz 0.3 oz 0 min
|50-55 degrees F Primary
32-40 degrees F Secondary
| White Labs Oktoberfest/Marzen yeast
- In a small pot bring 3 or 4 quarts of water to around 150 degrees
(bubbles start to form on the bottom.)
- Remove from the heat and stir in the specialty grains, cover and
steep for 20-30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, fill the large brew pot half full with water and apply
- When bubbles start to rise from the large pot, turn off the heat
and stir in the extract.
- After the grains have steeped for 20-30 minutes, pour them through
a strainer into the large brew pot.
- Add some hot water to the small pot and rinse the grains in the strainer.
- Bring what is now called ‘wort’ to a full, roiling boil.
Watch for boilovers!
- Once the foaming stops, add the contents of the first hop package.
- Sanitize your fermenter, strainer, airlock & stopper.
- Maintain the boil for one hour, adding hops as per recipe.
- When the boil is done, cool the pot in a sink until sides are cool
to the touch.
- Pour the wort into your sanitized fermenter, add pre-chilled water
to bring it up to 5 gallons at about 75 degrees and pitch the yeast.
- Ferment in the temperature range recommended above.
- Lager at 35F for 3-4 weeks.