Malibu Brown Ale
|Pale 6 lbs.
|British Chocolate Malt 4 oz
Crystal 80 8 oz
Special Roast 4 oz
|#1 Perle (7.3%) 0.7 oz 60 min
#2 Chinook (13.2%) 0.4 oz 60 min
#3 Willamette (4.5%) 0.7 oz 15 min
#4 Cascade 0.9 oz 0 min
|65-75 degrees F
|Wyeast 1056 American Ale
or White Labs WLP001 California Ale
o r White Labs WLP051 Cal. Ale V
or Wyeast 1272 American. Ale II
An American Brown Ale like Pete's Wicked®. Medium brown color with
a hoppy finish.
- In a small pot bring 3 or 4 quarts of water to around 150 degrees
(bubbles start to form on the bottom.)
- Remove from the heat and stir in the specialty grains, cover and
steep for 20-30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, fill the large brew pot half full with water and apply
- When bubbles start to rise from the large pot, turn off the heat
and stir in the extract.
- After the grains have steeped for 20-30 minutes, pour them through
a strainer into the large brew pot.
- Add some hot water to the small pot and rinse the grains in the strainer.
- Bring what is now called ‘wort’ to a full, roiling boil.
Watch for boilovers!
- Once the foaming stops, add the contents of the first hop package.
- Sanitize your fermenter, strainer, airlock & stopper.
- Maintain the boil for one hour, adding hops as per recipe.
- When the boil is done, cool the pot in a sink until sides are cool
to the touch.
- Pour the wort into your sanitized fermenter, add pre-chilled water
to bring it up to 5 gallons at about 75 degrees and pitch the yeast.
- Ferment in the temperature range recommended above.