King Kong Porter
|Pale 9 lbs.
||Dark 9 lbs.
|American Chocolate Malt 1 lb
British Crystal 77 12 oz
|#1 Chinook (11%) 1.8 oz 60 min
#2 Willamette (4.5 %) 1.0 oz 15 min
#3 Willamette 0.5 oz 0 min
|65-75 degrees F
|White Labs WLP001 California Ale
or Wyeast 1056 American Ale
Based on our awarding winning receipe, this is a robust porter. It
is a strong, rich and hoppy beer. A generous portion of chocolate malt
gives this beer a unique flavor.
- In a small pot bring 3 or 4 quarts of water to around 150 degrees
(bubbles start to form on the bottom.)
- Remove from the heat and stir in the specialty grains, cover and
steep for 20-30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, fill the large brew pot half full with water and apply
- When bubbles start to rise from the large pot, turn off the heat
and stir in the extract.
- After the grains have steeped for 20-30 minutes, pour them through
a strainer into the large brew pot.
- Add some hot water to the small pot and rinse the grains in the strainer.
- Bring what is now called ‘wort’ to a full, roiling boil.
Watch for boilovers!
- Once the foaming stops, add the contents of the first hop package.
- Sanitize your fermenter, strainer, airlock & stopper.
- Maintain the boil for one hour, adding hops as per recipe.
- When the boil is done, cool the pot in a sink until sides are cool
to the touch.
- Pour the wort into your sanitized fermenter, add pre-chilled water
to bring it up to 5 gallons at about 75 degrees and pitch the yeast.
- Ferment in the temperature range recommended above.