How to Brew
Wine & Mead
Gunga Din English IPA
|Pale 6 lbs.
Light DME 2 lbs.
|English Crystal 37L 0.5 lb.
English Crystal 17L 0.25 lb.
|#1 Target (10%) 1.0 oz 60 min.
#2 Challenger (8%) 1.0 oz 30 min.
#3 Fuggles 1.0 oz 0 min.
|65-75 degrees F
|Wyeast 1098 British Ale
or White Labs WLP007 Dry English Ale
- In a small pot bring 3 or 4 quarts of water to around 150 degrees
(bubbles start to form on the bottom.)
- Remove from the heat and stir in the specialty grains, cover and
steep for 20-30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, fill the large brew pot half full with water and apply
- When bubbles start to rise from the large pot, turn off the heat
and stir in the extract.
- After the grains have steeped for 20-30 minutes, pour them through
a strainer into the large brew pot.
- Add some hot water to the small pot and rinse the grains in the strainer.
- Bring what is now called ‘wort’ to a full, roiling boil.
Watch for boilovers!
- Once the foaming stops, add the contents of the first hop package.
- Sanitize your fermenter, strainer, airlock & stopper.
- Maintain the boil for one hour, adding hops as per recipe.
- When the boil is done, cool the pot in a sink until sides are cool
to the touch.
- Pour the wort into your sanitized fermenter, add pre-chilled water
to bring it up to 5 gallons at about 75 degrees and pitch the yeast.
- Ferment in the temperature range recommended above.