Big Lebowski Barley Wine
|Pale 12 lbs.
|Crystal 60L 12 oz
Crystal 10L 8 oz
Roast Barley 3 oz
Belgian Biscuit Malt 8 oz
|#1 Northern Brewer (6.9%) 4.0 oz 60 min
#2 Cascade (4.9%) 1.0 oz 30 min
#3 Cascade (4.9%) 1.0 oz 0 min
|65-75 degrees F
|Wyeast 1028 London Ale
Red Star Champagne Yeast
||The London Ale yeast is a hardy yeast suitable for high gravity
style ales but it is best to first brew lower gravity beer and use
the yeast cake for this recipe. If it gets stuck, then try pitching
the Champagne yeast, but only if it stops fermenting due to alcohol
levels and not as a response to a sudden temperature change.
This style is made with lots of malt and hops so it can survive being
put away for years. Brew one now to sip and savor for years to come.
- In a small pot bring 3 or 4 quarts of water to around 150 degrees
(bubbles start to form on the bottom.)
- Remove from the heat and stir in the specialty grains, cover and
steep for 20-30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, fill the large brew pot half full with water and apply
- When bubbles start to rise from the large pot, turn off the heat
and stir in the extract.
- After the grains have steeped for 20-30 minutes, pour them through
a strainer into the large brew pot.
- Add some hot water to the small pot and rinse the grains in the strainer.
- Bring what is now called ‘wort’ to a full, roiling boil.
Watch for boilovers!
- Once the foaming stops, add the contents of the first hop package.
- Sanitize your fermenter, strainer, airlock & stopper.
- Maintain the boil for one hour, adding hops as per recipe.
- When the boil is done, cool the pot in a sink until sides are cool
to the touch.
- Pour the wort into your sanitized fermenter, add pre-chilled water
to bring it up to 5 gallons at about 75 degrees and pitch the yeast.
- Ferment in the temperature range recommended above.